- Address Peking University, Yiheyuan Road, Haidian District, Beijing, China
- Qualification PhD
- Apply Before Open until filled
- Discipline business-management
- Majors Wanted Development Finance
In an effort to fill this gap, the Institute of New Structural Economics at Peking University (INSE), sponsored by the Agence Française de Développement (AFD), Ford Foundation, and the International Development Finance Club (IDFC), has launched the International Research Initiative on PDBs and DFIs.
To turn the research into policy impact, the first Finance in Common Summit was held in Paris, France in November 2020, gather the whole development bank community, comprising more than 450 PDBs and other key stakeholders (governments, central banks, private sector, civil society, think tanks and academia, etc.). Building upon the positive results of the first edition of the Finance in Common Summit, Public Development Banks will convene for a second time in Autumn 2021 in Rome to unleash their potential for fostering economic structural transformation in an equitable and sustainable manner.
Position: Distinguished Associate Research Fellow
Type: Full Time
Research Field: Development Finance
Principal Investigator: Dr. Jiajun Xu
Job Track: A full-time research position whose rank is official recognized by Peking University. This track is newly created by Peking University to improve the abilities of independent innovation and team research in frontier research fields. Eligible candidates can choose to join INSE as Peking University Post-doctoral Fellow, and enjoy the medical and children enrollment benefits for Peking University Post-doctoral Fellows.
The number of recruitment: 2
Compensation: The remuneration package will be highly competitive, commensurate with qualifications and experience.
Location: Beijing, China
Principal Investigator Profile：
Jiajun Xu is an Assistant Professor and the Executive Deputy Dean of the Institute of New Structural Economics at Peking University. Xu worked in the United Nations and World Bank and currently acts as the General Secretary of the Global Research Consortium on Economic Structural Transformation (GReCEST), and the Invited Researcher at the Public Policy Research Center of the Counsellors’ Office of the State Council of the People’s Republic of China. Her research focuses on development financing and global economic governance. She has published in top academic journals in the field of international development such as Journal of International Development and Institute of Development Studies Bulletin. She is the guest editor of China Economic Review and the lead author of Global Development Financing Report (2015) and Mapping Development Financing Institutions Worldwide (2019). Her academic monograph Beyond US Hegemony in International Development was published by Cambridge University Press in 2017, and received the 8th Peikang Chang Development Economics Outstanding Achievement Award. She has led a team to build a pilot database on Development Finance Institutions (DFIs) worldwide and pioneered research in the field of development finance. As the co-chair and co-coordinator, she has initiated the International Research Initiative on DFI Working Groups where leading scholars and experts are brought together to foster academically rigorous research on development financing, and enhance its policy impact through the joint effort with such platforms as International Development Finance Club (IDFC) and association of Development Finance Institutions. Xu holds a DPhil (PhD) from the University of Oxford.
- A doctoral degree in accounting, finance, economics, statistics, information management and related fields. Applicants shall be under 35 years old.
- Obtain the doctoral degree within the past 3 years.
- Excellent applicants could be appropriate to relax the conditions.
- In principle applicants shall have at least 2 years of post-doctoral research experience and obtain excellent research achievements. (Excellent fresh PhD graduates may waive this )
- Fluency in English.
- Shall work in full time capacity at Peking University.
- Experience in database construction or academic and policy research on development financing is preferred.
Conducting academic or policy research on the basis of building the world’s first Development Finance database through manual data collection or machine learning. The optional research topics include, but are not limited to,
- The rationales for establishing DFIs, and comparative advantages of DFIs compared with alternative means of government intervention in financial systems to fix market failures.
- Research on the performance evaluation of DFIs and its determinants.
- The economics analysis of institutional design of DFIs by studying their charters from the perspective of contract theory.
- The role of development banks in catalyzing private capital investments.
- The role of development banks in fostering and incubating the capital market.
- The role of DFIs in implementing macroeconomic policies and fulfilling coordination between monetary policy and financial policy.
- Infrastructure financing in Belt and Road countries.
- The environmental and social safeguards policy applicable to countries at different stages of development.
- Economic structure transformation and debt sustainability.
- The appropriate financial regulatory framework for national development banks.
Submit the following in English to [email protected] (The title of the email should follow the format of Distinguished Associate Research Fellow_Name_Ph.D. graduate school_ Major_The Earliest Availability Date)
- CV (including a list of publications and working papers)
- One-page statement of interest
- Selected publications or writing samples
- Two letters of reference (or two recommenders’ contact information)
- Scans of the passport’s first page and diplomas.
- Other evidence of research excellence (e.g., experience in manual data collection or accounting standards application; experience in data collection through Machine Learning and Natural Language Processing)
We are currently running the recruitment on a rolling basis and encourage interested applicants to submit an application as soon as possible.