- Address Huanggu District, Shenyang, Liaoning, China
- Qualification Masters
- Salary Offer $44,000 USD for Instructor (master’s degree); $48,000 for Assistant Professor (doctoral degree). USD $44,000 USD for Instructor (master’s degree); $48,000 for Assistant Professor (doctoral degree). Month
- Discipline Finance, Management, Economics and Business, Art, Law, Political Science, Education, Literature
- Majors Wanted leadership, management, communication, sociology, community development, public administration
- Department/School Website https://www.fhsu.edu/
The primary responsibility of this full-time position at Fort Hays State University is to offer leadership courses and curriculum to students enrolled in a partnership program in China. The successful candidate will join a vibrant group of faculty teaching Organizational Leadership at our partner institutions in China, at our main campus in Hays, KS, and around the world through FHSU Online. This position is focused on teaching, with limited service and scholarly activity requirements.
- Master’s degree in leadership, or a closely related field, from a regionally accredited institution is required. Candidates must meet minimum standards for academic qualification consistent with HLC accreditation.
- Must be able to provide proof of a minimum of 24 months of teaching experience.
Successful candidates must be a U.S. Citizen and be able to apply for and receive a Z-visa, residence permit, and work permit in China. Candidates must meet employment regulations to work legally in China with a Chinese work visa, which has age restrictions (currently, no work visas are being issued to foreigners over the age of 60), background check restrictions (applicants with DUI/DWI, including a diversion/ dismissal, or other such infractions are not being issued a work permit), various health history requirements, and education authentication (currently, no work visas are being issued to foreigner applicants unable to provide authentications and proof of educational backgrounds). FHSU will outline these processes, as well as assist in acquiring and paying for these documents.
Doctoral degree or ABD from a regionally accredited institution in leadership or a closely related field is preferred.
Individuals with teaching experience in the field of leadership studies are very strongly preferred. Experience in teaching/developing coursework for diverse, cross-cultural, or ESL/EFL students is desirable. Familiarity with Chinese culture and/or fluency in Mandarin Chinese is preferred but not required (all courses are taught in English).
OTHER POSITION INFORMATION
Rank: Instructor or Assistant Professor
Appointment Date: January/February 2024
Application Deadline: Applications will be reviewed until the position is filled.
Salary: $44,000 USD for Instructor (master’s degree); $48,000 for Assistant Professor (doctoral degree).
Benefits Provided by Fort Hays State University
Pre- and post-academic year travel
- Transportation to China to begin the semester.
- Reimbursement of eligible expenses related to obtaining a Chinese work visa and permit.
- A $3000 stipend for return travel on the faculty member’s own schedule at the end of the academic year. Stipend is reviewed each year and subject to change.
- Competitive benefits package http://www.fhsu.edu/humanresourceoffice/Prospective-Employees/
- Day-one health insurance including medical, dental, vision and supplemental enrollment options
- Retirement plan with 8.5% employer match after 1-year waiting period
- Free basic life insurance at 150% of annual salary
Additional benefits provided by Shenyang Normal University
Pre-arrival and Travel
- Pre-document Visa work and guidance.
- Assistance with the Application for Work Permit and Residence permit.
- Assistance with physical exam required upon entry, standard entry medical insurance, setting up bank account, etc.
- Airport Pick-up once a year.
Throughout the year
- Free housing in the faculty apartment complex located on the SNU campus.
- A standard apartment includes one kitchen, one bathroom, one living room, one bedroom, fridge, microwave, washing machine, air-conditioner and TV set.
- Spouses and children are permitted to live with FHSU faculty members.
- Lunch is available from Monday to Friday in the teacher’s cafeteria during the academic semesters. With a significant discount, lunch only costs 1.5 Yuan/RMB. (FHSU provides a $1700 stipend through payroll to help offset meal expenses.)
- Holidays as stipulated by laws of China.
- Gym, indoor pool, and other similar fitness facilities are available for a small membership fee.
- SNU-sponsored cultural and historic experiences in China.
- Exposure to a diverse international community of faculty, students, and visitors.
The workload for this position consists of 90% teaching, 5% scholarly activity, and 5% service, to be determined annually, in concert with the program chair.
Responsibilities include teaching lower and upper division undergraduate leadership studies courses (12 credit hours per semester) to approximately 240 students per semester. Teaching load will include delivering courses within the Organizational Leadership degree program delivered at one of FHSU’s international partner institutions located in China. Faculty are responsible for continuous improvement of their courses, including content and assignment revisions.
This position is primarily a teaching position; however, there are some research/scholarship responsibilities required.
There is departmental and/or university service required for this position. Although this position is located in China, it is an integral part of the overall university community and will have service requirements commensurate with the role.
After training in Hays, the faculty member will live and work in Shenyang, China. The faculty member will live on the Shenyang Normal University campus among other FHSU cross-border faculty. All courses will be delivered in English.
Application Process: To apply for this position, please visit https://fhsu.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com/en-US/CAREERS/job/International-Leadership-Studies-Faculty-Position_R-03601. Only electronic applications submitted through the webpage will be accepted.
Required Application Documents: Applicants should submit (1) a current vitae/resume including at least three professional references, (2) a cover letter stating how the candidate’s credentials and experience match with the position, (3) transcript(s) from highest degree earned and/or other graduate coursework, and (4) at least one letter of recommendation (no older than 1 year). Applicant documents should be submitted in one PDF.
If you have questions regarding the position, please contact:
Dr. Kaley Klaus, Search Committee Chair
About the Department:
The mission of our leadership programs, which are housed in the School of Criminal Justice, Leadership, and Sociology, is to educate and nurture citizens to lead our organizations, communities, state, nation, and beyond. Led by a team of dedicated full-time faculty and adjunct faculty, the department offers an array of programs that prepare students to become effective organizational members of the 21st-centry workplace, including on-campus and online bachelor’s degrees and graduate programs, a minor, and multiple certificates. Our program is also delivered at a partner institution, Shenyang Normal University, in China. To learn more about our programs, please visit http://www.fhsu.edu/leadership.
About the College:
The College of Arts, Humanities, and Social Science’s mission is to prepare the responsible student for citizenship, personal growth, and the 21st century workplace by striving to provide value-centered liberal arts education anytime and anywhere at an affordable cost. For more information about the college, please visit https://www.fhsu.edu/coas/.
About the University:
Fort Hays State University was founded in 1902 as the Western Branch of Kansas State Normal School. The institution was originally located on the grounds of Fort Hays, a Nineteenth Century frontier military outpost. The state of Kansas initially intended the university’s academic programs to focus on agriculture, but it opened in as a “normal” or teacher’s college. FHSU today is a regional comprehensive public university where determined, innovative and caring faculty and staff share a deep commitment to teaching and mentoring students. Our mission is to develop the engaged global citizen-leaders our world needs today. FHSU consistently ranks among the top regional universities in the American Midwest. A remarkable 95% of FHSU students secure jobs or higher education opportunities after they graduate. Employers tell us the combination of challenging academic programs, close faculty/student relationships, and the abundance of experiential learning opportunities our students enjoy while at FHSU set our students apart in a competitive job markets worldwide.
Overview of FHSU partnerships in China:
More than 20 years ago, FHSU became one of the earliest universities approved by the Chinese Ministry of Education to offer dual Western/Chinese degrees in China. Currently, the institutions offer several dual bachelor’s degree options. All instruction is conducted in English, so while familiarity with the Chinese language is not required, it is helpful. These partnerships currently serve nearly 4,000 students annually and administer programs in business administration, global business English, health studies, and organizational leadership.
Notice of Non-discrimination: Fort Hays State University is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of gender, race, religion, national origin, color, age, marital status, sexual orientation, genetic information, disability or veteran status.
Background Check: Final candidate will have consented to and successfully completed a criminal background check.
Notice to KPERS retirees applying for a position: Recent legislation changes working-after-retirement rules for both you and your employer if you go back to work for a KPERS employer. Please contact your KPERS representative or www.kpers.org for further information on how this might affect you.