- Address 1555 Century Avenue, Pudong New District, Shanghai, China
- Qualification Masters
- Apply Before Open until filled
- Discipline Language, Writing & Culture
The English for Academic Purposes Program at NYU Shanghai invites applications for full-time Lecturer positions to teach English for Academic Purposes to academically outstanding students from across China.
Designed as thematically-focused freshman seminars, these advanced courses will teach integrated skills (reading, writing, speaking, listening), with an emphasis on academic speaking and listening. Lecturers teach six sections (or their equivalent) in a two-semester course sequence (3 sections/semester). You may read more about the program curriculum on our website. In addition to teaching, EAP faculty attend program and university-wide meetings, participate in institutional service, and may continue ongoing research and practice in their academic or creative fields. Appointments are for 3 years effective September 1, 2022; contracts are renewable.
NYU Shanghai is looking for demonstrated excellence in university-level teaching. Candidates should be creative individuals who are flexible, outgoing, open to new environments, and respectful of diverse backgrounds and learning styles.
● Four years teaching university-level EAP/ESL courses
● Experience working with students from diverse cultural and language backgrounds
● Specialized experience teaching content-based speaking and listening
● Master’s degree in TESOL/Applied Linguistics or a related field
● Two years teaching university-level EAP/ESL courses (Due to Chinese visa regulations, these two years must constitute 24 months of full-time teaching following receipt of a Master’s degree.)
● The ability to design a thematic liberal arts style seminar according to CBLI principles
Priority deadline is January 10, 2022 (China Standard Time). Review of applications will continue until positions are filled.
Required application materials:
● Cover letter describing your experience relevant to the position
● Current CV, including a list of 3 references with name, title, and contact information.
● One-page teaching philosophy
Candidates who move forward in the interview process will be asked to provide the following supplemental application materials:
- 3 letters of recommendation; the letters should speak to teaching experience and effectiveness
- One-page sample course description, outlining a thematic focus you would like to teach and the integration of language skills into that focus
- References for 5 texts (essays, readings, videos) you would incorporate into the syllabus
Please visit our website at https://shanghai.nyu.edu/en/about/work-here/open-positions-faculty for instructions and other information on how to apply. If you have any questions, please e-mail [email protected].
About NYU Shanghai
NYU Shanghai is the third degree-granting campus within New York University’s global network. It is the first higher education joint venture in China authorized to grant degrees that are accredited in the U.S. as well as in China. All teaching is conducted in English. A research university with liberal arts and science at its core, NYU Shanghai resides in one of the world’s great cities with a vibrant intellectual community. NYU Shanghai recruits scholars of the highest caliber who are committed to NYU’s global vision of transformative teaching and innovative research and who embody the global society in which we live.
NYU’s global network includes degree-granting campuses in New York, Shanghai, and Abu Dhabi, complemented by eleven additional academic centers across five continents. Faculty and students circulate within the network in pursuit of common research interests and cross-cultural, interdisciplinary endeavors, both local and global.