- Address Fudan University, Handan Road, Wujiaochang, Yangpu District, Shanghai, China
- Qualification PhD
- Discipline Science & Engineering, Medical & Health Science
- Department/School Website istbi.fudan.edu.cn
The Institute of Science and Technology for Brain-inspired Intelligence (ISTBI), Fudan University, Shanghai is seeking talented and motivated individuals to work as full time Post-doctoral Research Associates in a laboratory led by Prof. David Waxman (http://www.dwaxman.com/).
Prof. David Waxman
David Waxman carries out research in quantitative biology. From 1985 to 2011 he was at the University of Sussex (UK), first in the Department of Physics, and then in the Department of Biology. Since 2011 he has been working full time in Fudan University, Shanghai, initially under the Chinese Government Foreign Expert Program. He has published research papers in well-known journals including Nature, Science, PNAS, Physical Review, Physical Review Letters, Genetics and Evolution. He has served on the Editorial Board of the journals Science, American Naturalist, Journal of Theoretical Biology and Theoretical Population Biology. In his research he uses methods from physics, mathematics, probability and statistics, along with computational methods, to construct and analyse mathematical models of biological systems.
Professor Waxman’s research typically concerns models involving randomness and stochasticity. He has wide interests, and most
recently has been working on the stochastic dynamics of genes in biological populations.
For examples of recent work see：
Influence of Dominance and Drift on Lethal Mutations in Human Populations
D Waxman and A D J Overall
Frontiers in Genetics, 11: 267 (2020)
Sub-or supercritical transmissibilities in a finite disease outbreak: Symmetry in outbreak
properties of a disease conditioned on extinction
D Waxman, P Nouvellet
Journal of theoretical biology 467, 80-86 (2019)
What is adaptation and how should it be measured?
J R Peck, D Waxman
Journal of theoretical biology 447, 190-198 (2018)
Corrected simulations for one-dimensional diffusion processes with naturally occurring
H Shafiey, X Gan, D Waxman
Physical Review E 96 (5), 053310 (2017)
Preferred Experience and Skills
Applicants for a postdoctoral position should have good quantitative skills and interests in biological systems. They can come from a variety of different disciplines including physics, mathematics, computing, economics and biology.
- The initial appointment period is for 2 years with a potential extension up to 4 years based on performance and the progress of the projects within the laboratory.
- Salary is ¥300-500k/year (~£34-55k/year) based on experience.
- Additional research funding up to £24k will be provided to support researchers with exceptional ideas and the capability to run independent projects.
- Opportunities to top-up salaries up to £11k/year with grants from Shanghai Government.
- Opportunities to visit collaborating labs at the University of Oxford, University of Cambridge, University of Sydney or Harvard University.
- Opportunities to transfer to faculty position with a start-up fund of £58k~116k.
- In accordance with the policies of Fudan University, assistance will be provided to candidates with children to apply for admission into kindergarten or primary schools affiliated with Fudan University.
Interested applicants should send their CV, contact information of two referees, and a short personal statement describing their relevant background, reasons behind their interest in the above-described position, and future goals to Prof. David Waxman at email@example.com; Successful candidates will be invited for an online or an on-site interview at ISTBI, Shanghai. An internationally competitive salary and benefits package (e.g. low-cost housing, assistance for childcare) will be provided. Starting date is negotiable.
The Institute of Science and Technology for Brain-inspired Intelligence (ISTBI), is an interdisciplinary research institution of Fudan University,one of the leading universities in China. It was launched in March 2015.The predecessor of ISTBI was the Centre for Computational Systems Biology, founded in 2008 and was one of the first international and interdisciplinary research centres in Fudan University.
ISTBI covers several research fields including applied mathematics, statistics, computer science, informatics and neuroscience. The research carried out in ISTBI is interdisciplinary per se, with computational neuroscience playing a pivotal role.
ISTBI aims to make significant contributions in the development of basic theories, core algorithms and key frameworks for artificial intelligence. It also has the aims of developing intelligent diagnosis systems for brain diseases, and establishing principles of cognitive neuroscience. Ultimately, ISTBI will contribute to the innovation and the development of an intelligence-oriented society.
For more information about the institute please visit: https://istbi.fudan.edu.cn/