- Address 393 Middle Huaxia Road, Pudong, Shanghai
- Qualification PhD
- Discipline Science & Engineering
- Department/School Website sca.shanghaitech.edu.cn
ShanghaiTech is a young world-class research university for training future generations of scientists, entrepreneurs, and technical leaders. Our new campus is located in the modern Pudong district of Shanghai, a modern area that attracts thousands of high-tech ventures, from young startups to well recognized tech giants.
The School of Creativity and Art at ShanghaiTech is an institute of higher education engaged internationally in research and education that integrate creative arts with advanced science and technology. The Lab for Experiential and Affective Design (LEAD) is one of a few advanced labs within the school.
LEAD was established in 2020 with the vision of applying scientific knowledge to the product design discipline. We collaborate with academic and corporate research labs in the areas of social cognition, artificial intelligence, adaptive systems, human-computer interactions, affective computing, and in industries such as medical devices, consumer electronics, mobile communications, transportation, robotics, and more.
Shimon Shmueli is a professor at the School of Creativity and Art and co-director of the Lab for Experiential and Affective Design. Originally from Israel, he also spent much of his career in the USA, in R&D and marketing management positions at IBM, as VP of products at Ossic, and CTO at KeyNetica and Serenium. Shimon is the co-founder of Syntheza, a California-based consultancy where he works with companies in the areas of product design, innovation, and strategy.
This position is for the Shimon Shmueli research group. Our main focus is in measuring affective response to products and developing design heuristics, patterns, and computerized design. Research is conducted with a range of tools, from established methods commonly used by social cognition scientists to AR/VR integrated with biometrics, as well as tools we develop specifically for research in the wild.
We are seeking a researcher with entrepreneurial, hands-on, and bold mindset who will lead and collaborate in interdisciplinary research. This is an opportunity to join a young lab and to significantly influence its research direction.
Our research will involve creative design of interactive products, embedded technologies, and fusion of sensors and research tools such as fMRI, EEG, VR/AR, eye tracking, mouse tracking, and other quantitative methods. Our aim is to create design heuristics and patterns, and measurement tools, that can be used by practitioners as well as integrate algorithms and sensors into automated tools.
• Research design and investigation of methods for analyzing biometric signals and statistical experiment results.
• Design and implementation of advanced algorithms that may involve DSP and ML for real-time adaptation of stimuli based on affect sensing and other contextual signals.
• Integration of robust systems for demonstration and proof of concept purposes.
• Entrepreneurial, hands-on mindset, and appreciation of how product design can impact human lives.
• A conferred doctorate degree (or shortly satisfy requirements) in related areas such as CS, EE, AI, neurosciences, cognitive sciences, social psychology, etc.
• Solid fundamental and applied knowledge in research methods and statistics.
• Foundations in machine learning and signal processing.
• Experience with software design and development in Python and libraries, or proven ability to come up to speed fast.
• High level written and oral communication skills. Ability to represent the lab team, including publishing in top-tier journals, authoring reports, and presenting at conferences.
• Experience with research methods for cognitive psychology.
• Experience with analysis of biometric signals and/or fMRI.
• Experience working with interfacing with hardware devices via USB or Bluetooth.
• Experience with AR/VR for research purposes.
Competitive salary, allowances and benefits are offered commensurate with qualifications and experience, in accordance with the standards of ShanghaiTech University.
Submit application via the ShanghaiTech Talent Acquisition System