SZU has developed China’s first fully automatic chemiluminescence immunoassay analyser, an essential tool in the clinical laboratory for measuring sample concentration, as well as phase-assisted 3D imaging and measurement technologies. These have reaped economic benefits of an estimated 350 million yuan. This, among other technological breakthroughs, is the result of cross-sector collaborations. SZU has been partnering with leading Chinese companies in numerous other projects, including DJI and Tencent.
Apart from innovation, SZU has prioritized projects of national significance, most recently with concerted research efforts on the COVID-19 pandemic. Synthetic biology projects promote national goals, including sustainable food and environmental resources.
Enhancing closer academic partnerships in the Greater Bay Area (GBA) also serves the national interest. SZU is joining forces with 10 other GBA research institutes, and is the first in China to establish an international academy riding on regional strengths. In July 2018, the Greater Bay Area International Institute for Innovations, another first for China, was established in collaboration with the Hong Kong Polytechnic University. With a mission of ‘forging technopreneurs for the future’, it is set to be an international landing platform for overseas partners from the academic, private, and public sectors, nurturing deep-tech entrepreneurs with world-class facilities and infrastructure.
SZU has already incubated 318 start-ups, including five companies with a market value of more than 100 million yuan, and about 30 companies with a market value upward of 10 million yuan. Supporting young talents through enhancing the real-world impact of their research is also grounded in SZU’s growing infrastructure, with more than 11 new laboratories of provincial grade and above built between 2018 and 2020, ranging from big data, artificial intelligence, to health sciences.
FORGING ACADEMIC STRENGTH WITH REAL–WORLD BENEFITS
• SZU is home to 10 first grade doctoral degree conferring disciplines, nine post-doctoral mobile research stations, and one post-doctoral research centre.
• Taught by eminent scholars, including, 2,443 full-time faculty members, students come from 11 disciplines, 100 undergraduate programmes, five state-level specialty programmes, 14 provincial-level specialty programmes, and 15 provincial-level key disciplines.
• Seven disciplines of the university are ranked among the global top 1%, according to ESI field ranking: Engineering, Clinical Medicine, Materials Science, Biology and Biochemistry, Computer Science, Chemistry and Physics, among which, Engineering, Computer Science and Materials Science have entered the world’s top 0.3%.
• In 2019, the total research funding exceeds 1.1 billion yuan with 365 new projects funded by National Natural Science Foundation of China, and 30 new projects funded by the National Social Science Foundation of China, ranking second in Guangdong, and first in China excluding ‘double first-class’ universities. In the same year, SZU published 3,791 papers in SCI indexed journals and 381 papers in SSCI indexed journals, receiving 2,846 scientific research awards.
• SZU has been climbing ladders in different global rankings, and within China (Times Higher Education): from 18th (2019) / to 16th (2020).
• SZU is home to: 24 schools, 24 joint labs and 2 affiliated hospitals.
WELCOMING GLOBAL TALENT
SZU is on a global search for the following positions:
1. Distinguished Professors:
More than three years of overseas research experience, and formal teaching or research positions in well-known overseas universities or other institutions
• Competitive remuneration: Suitable candidates will have an annual gross salary of up to 1.7 million yuan (around USD 245,000).
• Research start-up funds: SZU provides funding through various channels. Funding for natural sciences can be up to eight million yuan, and up to 500,000 yuan for humanities and social sciences. Start-up funds can be determined by negotiations.
• Team building assistance: SZU provides preferential policy for the successful candidate to recruit postgraduates, postdoctoral fellows, and full-time researchers.
• Competitive package: Selected candidates, along with their spouses and children, will enjoy health-care and education support. Interested parties can apply via [email protected], and call 0086-755-26535295 (Mr. Ren) or 0086-755-26918415 (Ms. Leung) for enquiries.
2. Young Scholars:
A doctoral degree or overseas postdoctoral research experience for more than two years from an international famous university
• Comprehensive package: SZU offers competitive salary, research start-up funds, and competitive benefit package including health-care and education support.
• Subsidies for outstanding young scholars: Selected candidates will enjoy the benefits of SZU’s ‘3+1’ talent incubation project, including a supporting team, and an annual wage of 150,000-200,000 yuan for specialist duties over a training period of three to five years.
Interested parties can apply via [email protected], and call 0086-755-26536111(Mr. Zhang) for enquiries.