- Address UESTC Qingshuihe Campus, Chengdu, China
- Qualification Bachelors
- Apply Before Open Until Filled
- Discipline Language, Writing & Culture
English Language/EAP Teachers (Full-time posts)
Glasgow College, UESTC seeks to appoint English language teaching professionals to support our English language delivery and assessment. The posts are based in Chengdu, China. Due to the Covid-19 pandemic, we can only guarantee job offers to candidates who are currently based in China.
Estimated date to start: Fall semester in 2023
The University of Electronic Science and Technology of China (UESTC) and the University of Glasgow (UofG), UK, established the Glasgow College, UESTC in January 2013. Our joint degree programmes (Electrical and Electronic Engineering, Electrical and Electronic Engineering with Communications) are delivered and assessed entirely in English.
English language (EL) provision is an integral part of the programme and is credit-bearing. The EL programme currently delivers teaching to approximately 1000 undergraduate students in the first 2 academic years of their degree.
The EL programme has a dual function:
- To develop the English language skills that our students need to fully engage in their academic programme.
- To develop the skills that our students need to achieve the required English language level* to progress on the joint programme. *equivalent to IELTS band 6
This is an exciting time to join Glasgow College, UESTC as an English teacher. In September 2019, we rolled out an innovative English for Academic Purposes (EAP) programme for both general and specific contexts.
We are keen to offer work to teachers who have a desire to develop professionally. We provide an integrated CPD programme designed and delivered by University of Glasgow teacher educators. We also offer opportunities in areas such as curriculum and syllabus development, materials writing, assessment work and teacher education.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
- Teaching to a maximum of 25 academic hours per week (20 teaching hours+5 office hours, 1 academic hour = 45 minutes). These hours include classroom-based work, small group workshops and 1- 1 tutorials.
- Course and lesson planning
- Student assessment and record keeping
- Participation in general and team meetings and CPD sessions.
- Liaison and collaboration with the Head of College, members of the management team and academic staff. This might include admin work such as course coordination, documents proofreading and admission support, etc.
Compensation and benefits
- Base pay: 15000RMB- 17911RMB per month (pre-tax), depending on skills and experience.
- Additional package: 3000RMB (pre-tax) paid together with base pay monthly for accommodation and
air ticket subsidy.
- Expenses reimbursement: All costs related to foreign affairs formalities expended in side China will be covered, including physical examination, residence permit and the authentication of the highest degree. And a maximum of RMB 5000 yuan (pre-tax) for overseas costs can be reimbursed, including non-criminal record and the authentication, the authentication of the highest degree and teaching qualification, and entry visa application.
- Insurance & Medical Care: foreign teachers with one-year contract are entitled to commercial health insurance for foreigners(Details available in the contract).
- Holiday: pro rata holiday entitlement (Details will be shown in the contract).
- 1-3 year, fixed term contract, with possibility of contract extension
- Paid insurance and Chinese Public holidays
- Regular staff development
- Career development opportunities
Requirements (Qualifications, skills and experience)
- Undergraduate degree
- Cambridge CELTA/Trinity Cert TESOL or equivalent qualification containing observed and assessed teaching practice*
- Ideally 2 years’ experience of teaching and assessing English language at B1 level and above
- Excellent organizational, communication and inter-personal skills
- Ability to work under pressure
- Ability to lead and work well in teams
- Willingness to work flexibly to meet the needs of the programme
- Diploma level TESOL qualification (Cambridge Delta/Trinity Diploma in TESOL or equivalent) *
- Masters in Applied Linguistics, TESOL, ELT or other relevant discipline*
- Previous experience of teaching EAP and/or IELTS.
- IELTS (or other international test) teaching and/or examiner experience
- Experience of teaching in a Higher Education setting
- Experience of teaching and assessing undergraduate/foundation students in an East Asia/Southeast Asia university environment
- Experience of teaching English for STEM (particularly engineering)
- Ability to use ICT effectively including use of a virtual learning environment (e.g. Moodle)
*Please note we will consider alternative qualifications and experience on their merit.
To apply, please submit the following documents:
- An updated CV/resume in MS Word or PDF version
- Copy of academic qualifications (highest level degree)
- Teaching qualification certificates (e.g CELTA/ Trinity Cert TESOL /DELTA)
- Passport scanned copy
- One or two reference letters that shows ideally two-year full-time teaching experience